The First Bank of Hilo, Ltd. building, on the makai side of Mamane St., has long been a fixture in Honokaa’s downtown core. Built on a gentle slope leading into town, the original structure dates back to 1910. A merger with Bank of Hawaii prompted the construction of an additional commercial edifice in 1922. When the Bank of Hawaii relocated in 1927 the structure was purchased and moved by Judge Manuel S. Botelho for his new law office, producing the footprint that exists today adjacent to the Botelho garage.
Since the late 1920s, the First Bank of Hilo, Ltd. building has manifested repeated and adaptive reuse. The structure has housed both a single-occupant and double-occupant interiors, and has had many tenants since its bankers and lawyers, including the U.S. Soil Conservation Service, Edith Fujimoto Dress Shop, Miura Tailor Shop, Hāmākua Sports Bar, and The Landing bar. Since October 2017 the location has been home to the Last Call Saloon, a great place to join locals for pizza and a pint on your way in or out of town – or any other time.